Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wikis

Well, thanks to Wikipedia, I had a little background on wikis before Discover 2.0. The thing I had trouble with, even from the beginning, with these is the lack of control. As some of the articles stated, basically, anyone can write anything on a wiki...
But it sounds like technology is improving, and with that, the ability to better control or at least offset some of the potential damage.
I use Wikipedia when I know NOTHING about a subject and need a quick overview. I haven't been able to ask a question yet that there wasn't some kind of answer. So that's the positive side--lots of people with expertise in lots of different areas are able to contribute. The negatives? Well, you can't quote from Wikipedia in any kind of research paper because, well, because no one knows for sure if whoever wrote in is to be trusted. Anyway, the pros and cons.
I like our FVRL YA Wiki. Great idea and I would think hugely helpful for those who work with teens throughout the district. I'm wondering if it's being used enough, though. The reason I question this is I looked at the site maybe six months ago and haven't seen any additions to the booktalk section. Maybe these have come and gone? If I was working regularly with teens, having these quick overviews of books teens might like would be very helpful...consequently, for those of you actually reading those books---turn something into the wiki! Your fellow YA'ers will love you for it! (And no, JS did NOT tell me to say this!)
Anyway, the point is, a wiki is only going to be truly useful if both readers AND writers are tuning in.
In other avenues of life, I can see wikis being helpful for groups attempting to plan large events and needing feedback, as well as to keep track of what others are doing. Reporting back on events experienced would also be a good use (I liked Wikitravel),and it would be a good venue for students who are putting together group projects. Again, things we've all done in the past, just with another step upward/forward, technology-wise.

No comments: